Tuesday, September 7, 2010

fall delight.

It is hard to believe that my last post was almost a year ago! So much for my faithfulness to keep in the habit of writing...


It is also funny to think that the last post I wrote had to do with my thoughts and fears on being a wife sometime in the future. I was not engaged then, but I am now, and almost exactly a month out from my wedding!


So yes, somewhere between getting a full time job, getting engaged, my best friend's wedding and planning my own wedding, I let this blog slip. I do want to be more consistent, but it will require some definite dedication and discipline.


The fall semester has officially begun at UH, and while the weather doesn't feel like fall yet, I could not be more excited about it!




At least 3 friends have informed me that the pumpkin spice lattes are back at Starbucks. And for good reason. I LOVE the taste of fall.


When Barak and I got engaged in January, he suggested a summer wedding. But I was begging for fall. Part of it had to do with the weather, yes, because I can't stand Houston summers. But it's also a whole lot more.


Fall is probably my favorite season (winter is a close second), and it carries so much anticipation and excitement for me. The first cool breezes begin to blow after a long, miserable, humid hot spell, and it fills my heart with joy. At least in the past, it was when classes began, and I got to buy fresh school supplies, meet new friends and learn new things.


For me, fall represents hope, anticipation, beauty, a fresh start.

So for me, a fall wedding is perfect in so many ways. In the changing leaves, God is able to reveal something beautiful, even in death. He did the same for me when I died to sin and He gave me new life and hope. I am alive in Christ.

When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins... Colossians 2:13

Fall also has a special significance in our relationship. I "re-met" Barak at a high school homecoming game in September. Our first date was drinking pumpkin spice lattes together. We started dating on 11.11, so 11 is our number. We met each other's families at the Thanksgiving holidays.



Though change can be scary, and it is not always comfortable, I feel I am ready to see what God has in store in the near future. I am excited about the opportunities and challenges marriage will bring, because I have the God of peace and comfort at my side. He is my Father, and He has never let me down.



Here's to 10.3.10, and the joy that is to come.
:)


*coffee mug photo courtesy of Tahni 'Candelaria' Holm.

2 comments:

  1. Allie - love this post. You will love being married. Keep God in the center/ as your focus and it is beautiful.

    I love the pumpkin spice lattes myself. It's the only time of year I willingly give money to Starbucks and I did last week and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen sister. I am a summer girl through and through but I am always looking forward to fall more than any other season. This season is perfect for your wedding and I am so thankful that you are letting me share it with you. I love you, heck I fuzz you! Aaaaand now I want a pumpkin spice latte. I had one last week and I was telling Joseph that it really did taste like memories.

    ReplyDelete